Re: Fedora Core 14 wireless issue with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200)

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM, John W. Linville <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 08:49:02AM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Just some background info and a query.
> I downloaded and did a fresh install of 64-bit Fedora about a week ago from
> Fedora site..
> Do I understand correctly that when I did the install, FC14 loaded the rev
> 09 firmware and that
> this is already an old firmware?

No.  FWIW, the "rev 09" you got from lspci is about the _hardware_ revision.

The iwl6000-firmware package should be installed by default, especially
on a clean install.  It is possible that the base Fedora install has
an older version (not sure when the last update happened), but if
you have done a "yum update" then you should already have the updated
firmware package.

Correct John, I did a "yum update"

> Now, do I understand correctly that I need to keep that old firmware
> but roll back to an older Fedora Kernel to get the Intel Centrino Advanced-N
> 6200 to play nice
> with Fedora?

This is incorrect.  Please forget it.

What seems most likely is that you have an older (possibly pre-release)
piece of hardware that has EEPROM data on the card that the driver
refuses to recognize.  Whether or not it is supposed to recognize it
is the only remaining question.  Hopefully Wey-yi will chime-in.

Not sure if I have a pre-release piece of hardware.
Is there a way to find this out for sure? The hardware did work with windows 7.
Who is Wey-yi?