Re: Solved: Trying to install Fedora 14 on a Stubborn Sony Vaio

On 02/23/2011 11:43 AM, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:02:52AM -0500, Jim wrote:

>>> Most laptops today prompt you to push a function key to get access to
>>> the boot menu.
>>>
>>> If there is no message on the screen, try pressing F12 repeatedly during
>>> the boot process.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Les H
>>>
>> Problem Fixed. Sony Laptop PCG-7142L
>>
>> What I did was remove SATA hard drive from laptop and put on my Fedora
>> 14 PC and used gparted and removed crashed Vista partitions and put
>> Fedora 14 on it.
>>
>> Put back into Laptop and now it will let me Boot off of Cdrom.  I was
>> also told that Sony does not support USB booting.
>>
>> The way Vista was installed on hard drive wouldn't let cdrom boot, only
>> boot from hard drive.
>>
>> Also found 7 dead keys on keyboard, will have to buy new keyboard, for
>> around $60-70. someone must have beat hard on keys. Sure is a Cheap
>> keyboard.
>>
>> Connected external USB keyboard and now the computer works great.
> You may have tried this, but I didn't catch it in your postings.
> Some/many computers have a "boot menu" in the bios/setup utility that
> is a separate screen (accessed by a different hotkey during boot) than
> the "setup menu". My (admittedly limited) experience with these PCs is
> that if you want to boot off an external drive, you need to enter that
> boot menu AT EVERY BOOT and select the external device. Those systems
> where I've used an external device generally refuse to boot from it if
> I simply change around the boot priority in the normal setup menus.
I checked the boot priority before booting each time.
What is weird I tried to enable boot on devices;

1. cdrom
2. external USB
3. network

To block out Hard Drive from booting , and it still wouldn't boot off
Cdrom.   Since I have installed Fedora on hard drive from my PC, I  now
can boot from cdrom drive. The Vista setup on the hard drive was causing
the boot problems from anything but the hard drive.