RE: Shared encrypted filesystem

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Davidsen
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:38 PM
To: Community support for Fedora users
Subject: Shared encrypted filesystem

Any thoughts on remote mounting a filesystem securely? Clearly I could just export it and count on the encryption in the WiFi and the VPN to protect the data, but that leaves it mounted in clear on the server. I looked at putting the data in a file mounted with cryptoloop on the client, which works, or creating a loop device and then having that be a LUKS device. I haven't tried that last one, but my notes say I did create a local loop/LUKS device for a demo, so I suppose it could happen.

Is there some simple and common additional method I've missed?

The file is "shared" at various locations, but it would work if only one client at a time could access it, writes are rare, even needing access is unusual, but it does happen.