Re: Moving Fedora 14 to another disk

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Chuck Bruno <cbruno4503@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need to move Fedora 14 to another hard drive to make more room for Windows.  My current Fedora configuration consists of a boot partition, and an lvm2 partiton consisting of root, home, and swap.  I have installed a 2nd hard drive and plan to use lvm vgextend, lvm pvmove and lvm vgreduce to move Fedora to the 2nd drive.  I understand that I will also have to move the /boot partition as well.

My questions are:

How to I tell grub where the system is now located, or will I have to re-install grub?
     Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to change the "root (hd0,0)" line to  point at the second drive

Do I simply create new mount points for /root and /home?
      Yes and no.  The mount points will move with the filesystems as you migrate.  Check /etc/fstab to
      ensure that the volumes are mounted via UUID.  Check the volume UUIDs with the blkid command
      to see if they changed.

How do I tell the “system” where the new swap is located?
      edit /etc/fstab to point at the new partition.

Are there other considerations that I need to look into?
      should be relatively straighforward once the moving is done.  If you can, take backups for safety before moving.

You're welcome. Hope This helps (HTH)