F14 and grub

I was altering my /boot/grub/ folder on F14 on my hard drive. To do this I was using the F14 live dvd. (I was booting from my dvd drive for no particular reason).I was trying to create another splash.xpm.gz, other than to try something different). file, in /boot/grub/ (on the HD) which I did following directions e.g., 14 colors only, 480x640, save as splash.xpm, gzip, copy to /boot/grub. But now F14 (hard drive) will not boot; I get a flashing _ and that is it.So obviously I have done something more than just replace splash.xpm.gz. grub.conf looks the same as before I started. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Chris