Re: Suggestion: Replace List by Newsgroup

On 02/11/2011 09:11 PM, Outway wrote:
> I don't see in what way a mailing list is superior to a newsgroup.
> But I do see several advantages of a newsgroup:

please spec your system.

> * Clear thread structure (collapsable trees in standard news readers)

thunderbird client, ability 'on site', faster recall / access.

> * No filtering on reader's side necessary

depends on what 'filtering' is.

i prefer *full control* of all input of others, in what ever;

  'tech.support.list.net' | 'x-header:' | 'text/plain' \
  'subject:' | 'body' | 'attachment' | 'sort to' | 'from:'.

not wade thru what has been put on web pages or sent 'headers' and
not be able to delete a 'ravel' i do not want in thread.

not wait for 'body' to load. especially if i am paying for time.

news group feeds do not permit 'freedom of speech',
 or 'freedom view' of *what other subscribers* write.

do 'newsgroup searches' run as well as an 'email list' search?

does 'newsgroup' recover a crash or lockup as well as 'email list'?

who has to reload everything?

> * Inappropriate messages can be removed after the fact (by a moderator)

any intelligent reader can decide his own moderating of email if reader
has knowledge of email client.

> * Own messages can be cacelled by sender in case of error

newsserver uses a 'delayed spool'?

sender has 'cancel send' 'window' to 'remove from spool' before "relay"?

> * Subscribing and unsubscribing is easier for a reader

no problem getting here. no problem dropping unwanted.

all with email client.

> A newsgroup is no more complicated to set up from a reader point of view
> than mailing list access. No exotic software is needed, the newsgroup
> can also be web interfaced.

i do not recall anyone saying that it is/was.

thunderbird's "tree" structure allows equal ability between both
email list and newsgroup. newsgroup will not let you filter delete
from thread what is not sent from your system.

> Is there a specific reason why the fedoraproject chose to use a mailing
> list instead of a newsgroup?

fedora does it right. mozilla does their part w/RFC design compliant.

with email list i can store what i want, when i want,
for how every long i want, with ability to delete what i want,
with out wait of censored information.

___

mainboard intel(?) 1.3g cpu, 32 bit, 300m0 fbuss, 320 mem.

scientific linux 5.5 r.2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP
Tue Jan 4 12:58:04 EST 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (20101210)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
 rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101209
 Red Hat/3.6-2.el5 Firefox/3.6.13

at&t aDSL: copper, 24k680' line terminate.
___

*long story short*

leave as email list, unfiltered. let me filter what i want filtered.

add moderated newsgroup
add moderated / censored web page

with redhat/fedoraproject, mozilla, all things are possible.

in closing, if you want newsgroup and think it can be done,
submit your qualifications to proper authority.

put together what you want, present for a demonstration, test run.

more power to you. have at it.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,