Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

On Saturday, February 12, 2011 02:15:02 pm Rick Sewill wrote:
> Someone help us...I know there is a command to show open files, lsof.
> Does that command include a way to find out disk activity per file or
> is there another command that can find out disk activity per file?
> I'm hoping, if we identify the file(s) with disk activity, we might identify
> the service/application/kernel feature that is hogging the cpu.

There is the 'iotop' package, which give I/O per process, but doesn't list files.

Both iotop and top can be run in a batch mode with the -b switch; both can run a specified number of iterations with the -n # switch (where # is the number of iterations, infinite by default).

Like many others I'm not seeing this issue; my box being a tad older, a Dell Precision M65 laptop with a 2.16GHz Core2Duo and 4GB of RAM, running the x86_64 dist.