[Fwd: Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"]

(Sorry - forgot to include the list..)
--- Begin Message ---
M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 15:56:31 PM +0000, T. Horsnell
(tsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Just to convince us all that it's not some subtle hardware problem,
can you make a FC14 live cd and boot from that, and then see if
you still get the same terrible performance?

Not right now (can't move from home right now, no blank dvds/cds
around). However, I HAD tried a live CD before install (now borrowed
from a friend) and it was just as slow, if not slower. Back then I
didn't bother too much for slowness, thinking "once installed for real
it will go faster", because I only wanted to be sure that it would
recognize all the hardware.

Marco

My experience with the live systems is that stuff is slower to boot and
programs are slower to start up (obviously - the CD/DVD drive is much
than a hard drive) but once a program is in memory, it functions just
as fast as with a disk-based system.
Do you have any mem/disk errors logged in /var/log/messages?
Are you able to run a memory test? (eg memtest86)

T.

--- End Message ---