Re: No need for AV tools on Linux, eh?

On 11 February 2011 23:48, mattias <mj@xxxxxx> wrote:
> But linux viruses?
> How many exist?
> Yes i'm are serious

As I said - it's not about today's threat, it is about tomorrow's.

Installing AV once you have been notified about a real, working linux
virus is not an effective countermeasure. The problem could have been
in the wild for hours/days/weeks by that point and you could already
be compromised. AV vendors, including the free ones are generally
ahead of you in the game, even if they are still behind the attackers.

If that's a risk you personally want to take, fine. It's not a risk I
can defend to an external audit, nor do I think anyone serious about
Security should follow your lead.

--
Sam