Re: Installation Impressions

>From one that has used SuSE, OpenSuSE, Mandrake, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat before fedora, Fedora, RedHat, CentOS, Scientific
Linux, Knoppix, DSL, Unbreakable Linux, EEEbuntu, and a dozen other distros over that last 12 years I:
For Home use CentOS for a server and Fedora for my desktop and netbook

At work I use
CentOS and Fedora for mostly dev and systems that don't require RedHat or SuSE to get support on their software
Use Red Hat Enterprise Linux for critical production services
OpenSuse and Ubuntu for Student Lab machines
OpenSuse is currently on my desktop but I sorely miss Fedora and want to change soon.

Why do I mention this, because each installation comes with it's various quirks and I choose distros based on their strengths and my
current need at the time.

I still shy away from LVM although I am starting to use it now that it installs (at least with Fedora 14 with a more sensible naming
convention other than VolGroup00 ).  The first time I had to take a LVM drive from one system to another years ago it was painful
and I still feel the burn from that trying to get it working.

When Ubuntu came out and seemed to be the next best thing I tried it for some time and found that a lot of what I considered to be
enterprise functionality (LDAP authentication, NFS server, Auto-mounting) either didn't work well or required that I manually patch
it for things that where already in Fedora.

I just recently installed Debian 6.0 and was sorely disappointed in the look and way that KDE was setup by default.  I liked the gui
installer and I think Debian does a number of things right and some wrong. Just as with any other distribution, there is some bad
but mostly good.  I certainly like the way synaptic works and I like some of the improvements that Ubuntu has made (I like the use
of sudo and gksu by default)

What we need to keep in mind is that there are may distributions out there and chances are that you can find one that fits your
style and use case.  Fedora is not for everyone as much as I would like it to be.  Certainly I have fought with what I consider to
be dumb defaults in many distributions ( preference of compiz over metacity comes to mind in SLED and the general removal of
nautilus-open-terminal from most default Gnome installation, I really don't need wobbly windows and burn effects).  More often than
not the visual effects (while I applaud the community for developing and looking ahead and really showcasing what linux and the
community can do), it does tend to interfere with some applications that I use such as blender and seems to cause me more headaches
then it solves.

When I do an installation, I rarely do an upgrade.  I like clean installs and either NFS mount my home directory from a server or
keep a separate /home partition so that whatever system I install I can still keep my user files.  If for some reason I didn't put a
/home I use another hard drive to tar up my home directory and later restore it after an installation.

This doesn't really help with the issue at hand but it's my use case.

regards,
 -Tomas