Re: How to get better looking fonts

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:57 -0500, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different. I followed all the instructions on
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts/, but the fonts
> look pretty much unchanged:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/fedora.png
>
> I would like them to look more like this:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/ubuntu.png

Looking at both screenshots, they're both apparently using the same size
font (other than monospace), yet their size and shape appear different.
Which leads to a couple of conclusions:

     1. "Sans" isn't the actually same font on each.
     2. The screen size / scaling is different (probably by playing
        silly buggers with the DPI).

A very slight change in font size can make a significant difference to
readability.  Both in the effect of getting a nice size font, as well as
how well a font can be drawn on a medium with limited resolution
(screens are MUCH lower than print).

Also, the Ubuntu shot is lower contrast (the text is gray, not black;
the shading on the drop-down gadgets is smoother, most likely as a
consequence of using steps of gray that are closer to each other in
luminance values, or perhaps more steps).

Lowering the contrast, ever so slightly, is another thing that can make
a picture look a bit softer.  Which may, or may not, look better to you,
depending on what you're trying to do / trying to look at.  It can lead
to other problems, if you print or produce graphics for other people, if
you tweak your things differently to how the end product needs to be.

To me, the Ubuntu shot has gone too far.  The writing looks smudgy, and
there's some quite obvious colour fringing around the edge.  That's how
sub-pixel smoothing works, using the red green and blue pixels
independently, and that can become quite obvious once they're brightened
up.

If you don't have a way to directly tweak the text contrast, to suit
yourself, you might want to go looking for different themes, or learn
how to modify a current one.

The other thing to check is whether they use the same font rendering
engine.  If they don't, then you're not going to get them to look "the
same."  Close, perhaps, but not identical.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.