Re: Installation Impressions

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Fedora uses a patched version of GRUB Legacy. It can read / partitions
>> on LVM but the /boot partition still needs to be ext* on disk.
>
> How come that Fedora sticks with GRUB Legacy? One of my reasons for
> wanting to try Fedora was to get quicker access to new features, so I'm
> really surprised to find that the first thing that I get in contact with
> is an outdated GRUB...

Not sure about the exact reasons for this.

>>> There is 128 MB of free space. I tell the installer to use all the space
>>> that's available. It claims that there is not enough space left.
>>>

>> In Fedora we use an application called preupgrade for distro upgrades.
>> During those upgrades the installer downloads the new kernel images to
>> /boot before the upgrade is performed. On previous versions there has
>> been problems where the /boot was not large enough and upgrades failed.
>> So from F12 the recommended /boot size is 500MB to avoid such issues.
>
> Ugh. So I have hundreds of free GBs in my LVM VGs, but I won't be able
> to install Fedora? Is there no way around this?

Well you have two options I think,

1. the obvious first, resize your LVMs to free 500 MB and use it as
   /boot
2. use an external drive (even small USB drives should work) as your
   /boot. I haven't done this personally but there are many on this list
   who do that. You should be able to find some discussions about this
   in the archives.

However there is a more adventurous option, you can use option 2 above
to boot the netinstall iso but then actually install Fedora with grub2
from the repos. That way you get a Fedora install which uses grub2. I
think there are a few pages on the wiki about this. As far as I recall
there are some people on the list who use grub2. So maybe you can search
in the fedoraproject wiki and then start a new thread asking how others
do it.

Hope these help.

--
Suvayu