Re: Things are getting really messed up on Fedora 14

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 11:34 +0100, Jon Ingason wrote:
> 2011-02-03 02:21, les skrev:
>

> > The first is prefs.js.  It warns that if you edit it with firefox open,
> > it will be rewritten.  Apparently this is what is killing the setting in
> > about:config.
> >
> > The second one is user.js.  It had only one line:
> > user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "stickyhomepage");
> > Changing stickyhomepage (my substitute for my home page) to the one I
> > wanted in both files, and eureka, it works as desired.
> >
> > Deleted the new, unwanted profile and things are peachy again for now.
> > Question, where did the user.js file come from?
>
> Look at the following URL:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Prefs.js_file
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
>
> This does not explain why user.js file exist. It should not hav been
> there in the first place.
>

> > Regards,
> > Les H
> >

> --
> Regards
> Jon Ingason

Hi, Jon,
	Interesting that these pages never came up when I was searching for
preferences stuff using google.  It is valuable information.  The
user.js file should be mentioned somewhere on the about:config page I
think, to help people having problems.  I don't remember ever setting
this file up myself, so the next question comes, where did this file
come from?  I will have to see if I can find the source of the user.js
file.  Maybe a new round of Google will help.

	I struggled with this stupid problem for many days before I resorted to
asking the list.

	I have had a really bad month from mid Dec to mid Jan with all kinds of
electronics failing.  I have replaced at least 6 major pieces of
electronics, all with issues, from this stuff here to Windows 7
(re-vista maybe?) to remote controls failing (car, garage door, TV, VCR,
and DVD player.)  If I have seemed a bit scrambled, it is because the
electronic gods are blowing my fuses.

Regards,
Les H