Re: F14 New Installation: Unknown Monitor

On 02/02/2011 10:10 PM, Burkhard Plache wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Burkhard Plache
> <burkhardplache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Does that monitor do proper EDID? If not you'll need to use an xorg.conf
>>> file to add mode lines for it.
>>
>> Appreciate the response.
>>
>> I do not know how to find out if the monitor does proper EDID.
>> Can I query manually?
>>
>> After reading up on this type of problem, there seem to be difficulties getting
>> xorg.conf utilized by X11. Currently, xorf.conf does not exist on my system.

It is possible to generate a xorg.conf

	Xorg --configure

might be -configure. done in run level 3. This generated an xorg.conf.new (from
my experience). Hand edit as appropriate (e.g. with monitor specifics, with
display specifics), and you should then be good to go.

All the best,

- -Greg

>> Burkhard
>>

> As a side remark, the installation was an update over a previous F7
> installation,
> where the monitor was recognized without a hitch. So, some improvement was
> beneficial for some, but not me.
>
> Some additional attempts / info:
>
> (1) Installed OpenSUSE 11.3.
> Same unknown monitor problem.
>
> (2) Reinstalled F14 using the 'basic video driver'
> Still unknown monitor, albeit at different resolution.
>
> (3) Learned about xrandr (X Resize and Rotate Extension) command line program,
> to which Preferences->Monitor GUI seems to be a front end.
> Unfortunately, xrandr does not allow me to change the display size
> (e.g. via xrandr -s 1280X1024).
>
> (4) Some applicable web references
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241705
>
> Concluding so far: The video driver does not recognize the monitor.
> Question: Can I use a different driver, or force some driver to use my
> preferred size?
>
> Would be great to have again decent resolution in front of me.
>
> Thanks for reading & appreciate any suggestion,
> Burkhard

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler@xxxxxxxxxx    |