Re: Dual wireless access points and connection from f14?

On Monday 31 January 2011 01:18:35 Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/31/2011 05:15 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> > On 01/30/2011 03:42 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> >> My advice to the OP would be to get a better AP with a more powerful
> >> radio.  Typical consumer junk is 15mW.  Without looking too hard one can
> >> get a good 100mW - 300mW init for not much more.  (Google: Ubiquiti)
> >>
> >> -wolfgang
> >>
> >   With respect - please if you really dont know or understand something,
> >
> > do not post speculation without caveating it speculative opinion - some
> > reading this may be misled.
> >
> >   Your post is speculative and not correct.
>
> I am not sure what aspect of the previous post you find speculation or
> in need of a caveat, but....
>
> My Dad lives in 2 story home + basement and is a MS only user (don't
> attempt to argue this point).  For historical (hysterical?) reasons the
> Internet connection is on the 2nd floor.  He had a wireless AP and
> connectivity on the ground floor was fine....reception in the basement
> was weak and subject to frequent disconnects.
>
> We replaced his wireless AP with product (after trying and returning
> other products) from Ubiquiti and he is now a happy camper.  He even has
> connectivity his detached garage.
>
> OK, maybe the caveat would be YMMV but in my Dad's case it would have
> resulted in sound advice.

Ed, can I ask for practical details?  Currently my router gives wifi coverage
on the ground floor and first floor (and is little used, but desirable).  By
the time the signal reaches my office in a stone building in the garden it is
very weak.  I tried adding a second router with the wan omitted and hit the
problem described in this thread.  I have removed that and now have a switch
box without wifi in the office, but now my Internet tablet can't connect so I
need wifi here again.

Does the AP you recommend simply attach to the switch box?  Are there good
instructions somewhere that deal with any special settings?  Any practical
advice you can add?

Thanks

Anne