Re: Skype - No sound from microphone

On Sunday 30 January 2011 15:36:15 Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Although am able to hear sounds ( in a call i can hear the caller ) the
> caller
> can´t hear me . System wide i have sounds.
>
> Now the odd thing is that if i go to PulseAudio Volume Control under
> Multimedia
> under the Recording devices i can "see" the microphone and the system
> can hear
> me speaking since the volume increases and decreases accordingly .
> Theoretically
> at least that should mean that the microphone is actually being detected
> and the
> proper modules have been loaded. One last thing that might be relevant
> is that i
> don´t actually own a seperate microphone but it´s build in my Logitech
> Web Camera.

What devices are selected, and what are available for the microphone, speakers
and ringing options?

Also, try to use some audio editing app like audacity to record your voice.
This just checks whether the problem lies with skype or with your system.

> The thing is that Skype actually knows about the Web Camera since if i
> test it under
> the video controls i can see my face . If i make the sound tests i can
> hear the sound
> if i make the test call i can hear the test person speaking but i can´t
> hear my voice
> .

>From what you are saying, everything appears to be in order, except for
microphone. Some other things to verify:

- is that the only microphone you have?
- is that the one selected as a default recording device in pavucontrol?
- is it muted?
- did you try to logout/login into skype (sometimes it helps)?
- did you try to turn on/off skype's option "allow skype to automatically
adjust my mixer levels"?

> I would be glad to try even any other application
> that speaks
> the Skype protocol if that thing would make things easier without
> messing up anything .

There is no other app that speaks the skype protocol, because the protocol
design is considered a business secret by Skype. They have gone to
unprecedented great lengths to keep it a secret, even from reverse engineering
attempts. You may read up on the subject on, say,

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_Protocol

HTH, :-)
Marko