Re: LibreOffice on Fedora

On 01/27/2011 06:44 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Generally, the GPL does not mandate giving anyone credit, in some particular
>> form or fashion.
> I wasn´t thinking of the legal angle. I was thinking about public
> discourse of portraying Oracle as some sort of enemies of open source,
> and "independent" (while backed by other corporations) as pure and
> honest

Not a single person involved with fork have said anything about Oracle
being the enemy or evil.  If you are going to criticize the arguments
use the actual reasons given by the contributors involved in the fork
which are quite different.   Here is one reference

http://lwn.net/Articles/407339/

Being backed from corporations doesn't prevent a project from being
independent.  It depends on the governance model and licensing
structure.   There are many successful ones ranging from the non-profit
ones such as Apache, Mozilla (which has a corporation as well )  and
Document Foundation.  There are also different trade associations such
as Eclipse and the Linux Foundation.  They are all different from each
other and give the projects a good level of independence allowing
multiple organizations to work together on a codebase while competing in
other ways.

Rahul