Re: Finding programs

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 08:07 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> > I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>>
>> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
>> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo  :-) :-)
>>

> I am not sure what you mwan by the question. Which evincew finds it in
> one senswe. locate evince finds it in another sense. yum insaatll enince
> finds it in a third sense. man -k document will find it in a fourth
> sense.
>
> Clarify your question.

I meant, if new users are looking for a pdf viewer, how are they
supposed to know that evnice is the default pdf viewer that is included
in the default installs?

The fact is that not only is the evince name non-decriptive, but the man
-k short description likewise has no mention of "pdf" so it won't be
found as a pdf viewer either.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)