Re: Finding programs (was: SELinux)

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 21:23:24 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > It's not hard to find PDF readers.  All you have to do is a yum search
> > using pdf as the keyword, either a command line or GUI yum tool, and it
> > lists things related to PDF files.
>
> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.  Yum isn't a
> command that newbies are likely to be familiar with.  Old-timers from
> the BSD world might try "man -k pdf" but that doesn't find evnice
> either.  Even on fedora-14 I can't seem to find it on the pull-down
> menus.  Looking at the likely bin directories for things with pdf in
> their name isn't going to be fruitful in evince's case.
>
> The way I found it back when I started using a linux distribution (back
> in fc4 days) was to let firefox open up a pdf file, spawn the reader and
> then I opened a shell window and did a PS to see what the viewer was
> called.  I recall having to do that a number of times because the name
> evince, just doesn't remind me of PDF.  I can't expect a newbie to do
> that either.

The typical way a newbie would behave is to open a file manager (I guess
nautilus in Gnome, dolphin in KDE), navigate to a pdf file and click on it. If
the system is set up by default, in Gnome the file should be associated to (and
thus opened by) evince, and in KDE by Okular. AFAIK, that is the default. If
the system config was changed from default to something else, then the user who
changed it was supposed to be aware what he was doing, and which other app has
been configured to take care of the pdf files.

In KDE, once you open the pdf file by clicking on it in the file manager, you
can look up on the titlebar and see the word "Okular", or go to help menu and
find the "Okular handbook" and "About Okular" menu items. If that still isn't
enough of a clue about the app's name, you can click on the "About Okular"
item and read off a whole bunch of information including the name, description,
version number, list of authors, licencing info, upstream website address,
etc.

As for Gnome, I don't use it so I cannot tell exactly, but I guess the
equivalent information can be found in an equivalent place. If not, Gnome devs
are probably living somewhere in some galaxy far, far away... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko