Re: Finding programs

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:28:48 +0000, Sam Sharpe wrote:

> On 26 January 2011 00:07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>>
>> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
>> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo  :-) :-)
>
> I appreciate your point, but I feel it only fair and balanced to point
> out that none of the top three links on that page actually contain any
> information on Evince and in the 4th page it is buried somewhere about
> 1/3rd of the way down.
>
> Basically, Evince need to do a bit of work on their SEO ;o)
>
> --
> Sam

OK, I have no idea how it works on the Gnome package management side at
this point since I'm logged in via KDE.

However, KPackageKit has this nice search feature:

1. Open up KPackageKit (which is what most people do to update software)
2. Under Get and Remove Software, select search by description
3. Type in PDF and wait
4. Click on a program name and read the description
5. Install, uninstall, etc. as is your choice

If you have a green check mark next to the program name, then it's
already installed.

>From the command line, it's a bit more cumbersome although it feels a bit
faster.

1. As root (or su -c) do a yum search pdf
2. Scroll through the results and find one you like - envice, document
   viewer seems to be a good choice.
3. yum info evince gives all the information
4. Install, uninstall, etc. as is your choice

Both seem pretty reasonable to me. Since I'm a command line type of
person, I prefer the second option coupled with writing to a text file
and vim, or piping through grep.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/