Re: Is there a better Alternative to Thunderbird ?

On 01/21/2011 02:08 PM, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 14 / KDE
>
> Today my Thunderbird-3.1.7 crashed and sent all my 1500 emails to the
> Trash Can. Thunderbird was taking so long to compact and other
> things it had to do and locking up my desktop and Web Browser.
>
> In Fedora is there a better email Browser ?
>
> I tried Evolution but it just does not seem to work very good in Fedora 14.

I run FOUR copies of Thunderbird at one time, each with its own
directory structure.  Each has multiple mail addresses to download.

I start them with command lines like:

export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
thunderbird -profile ~/data/htt/Mail &
export -n MOZ_NO_REMOTE

A typical mail 'system' will have 5Gb of archived mail in a 100+ nested
folders.  1000+ emails per mail copy per day is typical.  Compacting
<in> and <junk> goes fast and thank g-d, never a crash from that.  My
system has crashed from running hot during a 3000+ mail download after
being offline for a weekend and Thunderbird just 'reached' out and
downloaded the mail, but given I am using POP (I could use IMAP but
don't) it had to start from the beginning.

If Trash gets above 50K messages I will start consider emptying it.  I
sometimes have to scan all my message folders when trying to remember
where I stuffed something and if it is a header search still only takes
a couple minutes.  (I have learned to limit body searches to specific
folders!)

Oh, my mail server is running Courier Mail for POP and IMAP on a Fedora
12 Amahi.org server.

I do have SquirrelMail available on my server and have used it at times.