Re: Installed ATI driver removal after Xorg update

Hi,

Thanks Joe, but I have chosen Frank's method - and I solved the
problem. I would like to share my experiences - here you go what's
happened:

After a few months I use ATi's proprietary driver, because I need to
render/cut with pitivi, and other video tools. The last driver 10.12
for HD cards seems works pretty well, and after I have received this
last update - lost my output. I thought that I have at least 2 options
to what to do. One: Reverting the update.... Two: Removing the ATi
driver... and maybe an third, but I wasn't sure that works:
reinstalling with the complete ATi .run package witch *maybe* corrects
the settings, and I receive my screen. But one thing has blocked me -
that I didn't know how to get CLI to maybe restore / remove / install
from my backups from one of my folders/HDD's (that was an another
experience when I used Fedora without backups). I have chosen Frank's
method, to access my files - and after I have received the root prompt
- I thought that I give one try to the official ATi driver, what can I
loose.....? For my biggest surprise the driver extracted itself to an
temp folder, and started itself - What the heck? ATi DRIVER RUNS IN
CLI MODE!? Accepted the license, and reinstalled with recommended
mode. One minute later after the driver asked for restart, and I did
that. The following reboot has resulted that my problem is solved -
and I have GUI again!

Thanks guys the support,

Zoltan

2011/1/21 Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx>:
> On 01/20/2011 11:11 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>> As i said (or not?), I have no screen at all - so there are no logon
>> screen, after boot I got an black empty nothing. Backlit is on but no
>> graphical UI at all. So, how can I set up from grub only an command
>> line boot-in till terminal logon? Why is no fallback possibility?
>
> Press Ctrl-Alt-F2.  That gets you to a *text logon screen* and a CLI
> interface, just as I wrote before.
> --

PGP:  06853DF7