device naming (mentioned in Fedora Weekly News 259)

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 19:47 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Next week sees the first Fedora 15 Test Day[1], on network device
> naming changes upcoming in Fedora 15. On compatible systems, Fedora 15
> will use biosdevname[2] to name the network interfaces; this provides
> a fully deterministic naming scheme on such systems, as opposed to the
> current system, where you cannot be sure that a given interface's name
> in Fedora will reflect its physical location or label. The Test Day
> will ensure this system is working correctly and also that it does not
> override existing preferred names on upgrades,

Interesting how someone, or some people, have seen the sense in making
network device names more obvious as to what they refer to, rather than
everything being generic eth0, etc.  Yet, years ago, (probably) other
people though it was a good idea to remove those details from hard drive
device naming, and make everything appear to be a SCSI drive, causing
identification of multiple drives to become more difficult.  Hmm...

Personally, I want ide, scsi, usb, firewire, sata, et cetera, device
naming.  A system could always symlink the first one to sda, for
one-disc-only systems, so such owners can simply /dev/sda and not have
to care.  But for people with multiple-media systems, having everything
on pseudo-scsi is a nuisance.  How say you?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.