Re: determining sudo access

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 14:34 -0800, Donald Russell wrote:
> In /etc/profile.d/local.sh I'd like to modify the PATH env variable to
> include /sbin /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin but only if the user has
> sudo access.

Even if that person does have sudo access, there are probably times when
they should use the command in /bin rather than /sbin, et cetera.  There
are, or used to be, various commands that had different versions in
each.

If you mean for that path to change depending on whether they had used
the sudo command, that'd be a different thing, and would probably work
without problems.

hmmm, same program/command in different directories with different behaviour...
I guess the simplest thing is to let the people with sudo access adjust their own PATH in ~/.profile or the like.

But, to do as you suggest, only alter the path if the sudo command were used, would require a sudo function...

something like:
sudo() {
    local oldath=${PATH}
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:${PATH}"
    /usr/bin/sudo $@
    local retval=$?
    PATH=${oldpath}
    return ${retval}