Re: alias doesn't work

On 01/19/2011 06:38 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi!
> I have few aliases in .bashrc. They all work as expected. Recently I
> installed firefox4 from remi repo and pretty happy with it. However I
> would like command 'firefox' to be aliased to 'firefox4'. So, I added
> the following entry in .bashrc:
> alias firefox='firefox4'
> But it doesn't work! After I login and trying to start Firefox by typing
> 'firefox' from the terminal it starts firefox 3.55, no the 4.0 beta8! I

Its not your alias that is the problem.  Its the chain of scripts that
get invoked.  Take a look at /usr/bin/firefox and your firefox4 scripts
and see what they are doing.  I'm betting that the scripts are so
similar, that somewhere down the line, firefox4 gets confused and
somehow finds your firefox 3 stuff instead....

The scripts do an awful lot of processing before they finally try and
invoke the real executable in the /usr/lib[64] directory somewhere.

Look at /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 for directories named mozilla, firefox,
firefox-3.6, etc.  In there is both a firefox executable and a
run-mozilla.sh script which can also be very interesting to read.

> checked with which command and it shows:
> $ which firefox
> alias firefox='firefox4'
> 	/usr/bin/firefox4
> If I then start firefox4 from command line, closing it and next time the
> alias works - entering 'firefox' from command line starts firefox4. Is
> it normal? How can I change it to always start firefox4 whatever command
> was entered first?

Firefox reacts differently when you try to start it and it finds an
already running instance.  Does it even know the difference between the
different versions when it finds one already running?  Check the scripts
to be sure.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx