Re: Printing directly on DVD

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was starting to think it was my printer instead of glabels. No
> matter what custom media size I set (all around the recommended 5in x
> 5in) I ALWAYS get a media size error on my HP Photosmart C5580. Keep
> in mind, I'm talking about the printer, the driver happily feeds it to
> the printer without error.

After reading Tom's account (thanks, Tom!), I discovered that the
printer is expecting the "document" to be precisely 360pt square, with
the actual doughnut area where you might want to put ink is offset
somewhere inside that. I eventually figured out the exact offset for
my printer and produced a template document for GIMP that even
includes the little flat edge where the printer can't print. Then I
just have to remember to always print my file in the lower left corner
of the page on the print dialog, which GIMP seems to insist must be
full page size no matter what.

Actually, I find GIMP to be overall a bit clumsy for this sort of
thing. I wish that I actually had a working template for glabels or
else knew how to make one.

-Alan