F14 install onto portable HD

Hi gang. I know I've done this before, probably on F11 or F12, and using
a live CD and a usb-flash drive rather than a real HD. but today I can't
make it work using a real USB HD and F14 full DVD.

When Anaconda comes to the place where it asks me where to install the
boot loader it does NOT offer me the option to install it on the
boot sector of the external HD, which is where I want it.

If I could put it there, I could plug the drive in, reboot, choose the
boot menu from the BIOS, select the portable drive and voila. I DO NOT
want it messing with the existing drives, but it seems to have a first
preference of installing it on /dev/sda (can't recall for sure, it may
even be trying to put in on /dev/sda1--not I understand why it would
do that). don't want it there. its only other choice is /dev/sdc1 which
is /boot on the portable drive. I want it completely independent of the
existing systems which means, as I understand things, on the boot sector
of the portable drive, not the first sector of one or another partition.

How can I get Anaconda to put the boot loader on the boot sector of
/dev/sdc  ???

Thanks in advance!

at the moment I've got it "working" (for value of "working") by adding
an entry in /etc/grub.conf on the built-in drives, so I can select
to boot the external HD from the grub menu. but that ain't what I
want.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?