Some Fedora 14 nitpicks

Hi;

Only bother reading this if you have some extra time.  I am quite
satisfied with Fedora 14, but with each new version I keep a list of
small annoyances.  I am posting to see if there is agreement with me or
not, or further suggestions.  I will add some of them to bugzilla as
medium or low priority if it is appropriate in a week or so.

Compiz
1) make it one package
2) fix compiz so that 'place' works with Firefox.
3) mesa-dri-drivers should be more explicit about what driver to use for
what. I wasted over an hour before discovering I needed
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental to run compiz.

Emerald
1) give me a menu dialogue so with one check mark I can install 'emerald
--replace' wherever it is needed - like the 'Desktop Effects' menu icon
in Preferences.

Sessions manager.
1) It has taken me well over an hour to chase down what some of the more
obscure programs and names are starting.
2) I found a site that gave me a description and suggestions of which
services I should automatically start on boot or login.  Everybody's
need is different, but release notes or some Fedora Documentation should
outline the use of session manager and services.

Gnome Menu and other launcher icons.
1) Make it simple to see what the command for the command line would be
to start the program.  Right now I have to drag the menu icon onto the
desktop and then look at properties, or open alacarte to see the command
in an items properties.
2) Sort out with Gnome what is a system tool and what is an
administration program.  I would think that programs that require 'root'
privileges, at least initially, should all be on the Administration
menu.  It will take a grand sort out of what is really what.

Gnote.
1) make the Linux cut and paste, by select and middle mouse button
click, work within gnotes.
2) give gnotes a command that can be attached to a shortcut key that
allows me to select a short phrase from text, within gnotes or outside,
that makes that phrase the new title.

LiveCD.
1) Start with three desktop icons. 'Computer', 'Install' and 'Rescue'.
The 'Rescue' icon need only be a menu that downloads and launches things
like Gparted, Firstaidkit, fwfstabs and access to your harddrives and
broken Linux system(s).  I know you can do it easily now if you are
experienced but there is an unnecessary learning curve; some of the
names for drives and mount points are obscure.  When you use tools like
gedit you are never sure where you are or which fstab or bootloader you
are editing.  None of this seems to be a big item, but if you are a
relatively new user, in the throws of frustration and near panic
(afterall, you are trying to rescue your system) it all adds to
unnecessary confusion and FUD.

Anaconda.
1) I would like to be able to run Anaconda from the LiveCD in a 'safe'
mode.  No formatting, no application downloads, just be able to fix and
change labels, flags, and apparent partition order.  I know this can be
done with fdisk and/or parted, but Ananconda gives a nice visual and it
is familiar.  It is what was used on the original install.

Epiphany:
1) I like to close Epiphany when not in use, but keep the BookMark
icon/launcher on my panel -- that was the original idea behind it.  I
use Firefox for general browsing and Epiphany for reading HTML files and
quick look ups at a few select sites when I am working.  I can't seem to
be able to turn off the 'recovery' warning/option when I start up
Epiphany after closing it but retain the bookmark on my panel.  It kind
of defeats the purpose of quickly browsing possible URLs independent of
opening Epiphany first.

Evolution
1) doesn't mark the first message as read -- need to use Ctrl-k
2) F6 doesn't quite cut it as a jump from panel to panel.  I would like
a short cut key that just toggles between my account & folders list,
and, message list and places the cursor or highlight on the first
message.  The spacebar does the rest for me.
3) I would like to be able to add more than one ISP account to the
notifyer.  I would like more accurate new mail counts.
4) Want to change the print options for calendar.  I have asked several
times and gotten general agreement.  I have even offered to make changes
as a plugin -- just want a pointer or two on how to get started without
learning the entire Evolution program.   The only reason I double boot
is to use the Outlook calendar.

Gnome Panel:
1) On almost every login one or two items on my panels is blacked out.
The programs still work, it is the launcher icon that doesn't get
loaded.  I don't know if this is a result of using compiz or the mesa
experimental driver or something else entirely.

gdm:
1)  The login dialogues bounce around in an unnatural amateurish looking
way.  They change sizes crudely at least 3 times for each boot up.

TVtime:
1) Apparently the no one has written a sound module for Alsa for
analogue sound over cable for my Haupauge WinTV-HVR 1800.  Will check
one more time.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32