Re: Play DVD

2011/1/10 Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 10/01/2011 09:34 μμ, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:

>> > I have always had good results with vlc. That is the only
>> > multimedia application I have ever discovered that will play
>> > anything.
>> >

>>  .... and xine of course....
>
> Xine for some odd reason doesn´t work either . I know xine , it was one
> of the
> first packages i have installed since i really like it . But no dice
> with that .
> Besides i think kaffeine uses xine libraries . Anyway here are the data
> for xine :
>
> xine-plugin-1.0.2-3.fc12.x86_64
> xine-lib-1.1.19-2.fc14.1.x86_64
> xine-ui-0.99.6-25.fc14.x86_64
>
> More specifically xine reports :
>
> The stream "There is no MRL" uses an unsuported codec
>
> Video Codec "MPEG 1/2 (0x0)
>

> Has xine lost the actual dvd device  ?
>
> Kaffeine on the other hand if i try to play a dvd
> says :
>
> Cannot find input plugin for MRL "dvd:///dev/sr1".
>
> Well if that helps the device /dev/sr1  corresponds to my
> dvd recorder ( yes it is the second dvd device that i have ) which
> is the device that holds the movie i want to play .
>
> So if  i get things straight , xine doesn´t know which device holds the
> movie and Kaffeine doesn´t know which plugin to use ?
> Any insights for that ?
>

> --

HI Kostas,

How did you installed your decoders onto your machine? Did you used
the auto installer or you have selected them by hand in packagekit (or
in yum)? Because fedora leaves this decision in your hand. Basically
is it so because  if you know your needs, with-what, - the system *
will not * overwrite/complement your selection. This is true for the
other triggers also, themes, fonts and many more parts inside of the
system - as it as for the decoders. Maybe this is the actual problem,
and thats why the players are looking for the resource locator with
mpeg 1-2 decoder. Technically DVD's base TS video is Mpeg2 and Mp3
voice. Newer discs/machines are using inside H.264 and possibly higher
audio compression....seen many types.

So to use the auto installer for decoders, you have to between the
first system customisations choose such movies, files where you surely
know that you need decoders. Try to play it - as many as you could -
and rest will be done by packagekit. The best is using movies -
because of that files has audio *and* movie parts. After this I add
dvddecrypt, and the other as you mentioned above - and will work
wonderfully. This is the way how am I installing video/dvd part inside
fedora after I have rpmfusion has been integrated fully.

HTH,

Zoltan

--
PGP:  06853DF7