Broadcom 4321 wireless suddenly stopped working

*This is a fairly new Fedora 14 install and I did have the wireless
working for quite awhile, so all the fwcutter and other
pre-configuration stuff was done.
*This install was for a friend and he says it worked fine for awhile and
then stopped when he took his computer to the office and back home.
*I ran yum update and installed lots of updates yesterday, and after
that, it started working and stayed working through multiple reboots.
*When my friend arrived to pick it up, we did one final reboot and it
came up dead again, with no evidence of the adapter in the network
manager applet
*We're using the akmod-wl driver from rpmfusion - I've removed and
reinstalled it
*If I remove the kmod-wl component, I can see akmod-wl detecting the
wireless card and building a new module during bootup
*I've searched all the logs using "bcm" as criteria, and see nothing -
nothing indicating it's loading drivers, nothing indicating it's not
*Network manager, when the wireless was working, showed two NICs,
calling them "eth0" and "eth1" - now, it's only showing the wired "eth0" NIC
*In /lib/firmware/b43-open directory I have
b0g0bsinitvals5.fw
b0g0initvals5.fw
ucode5.fw

Can anyone suggest where I might look for problems next?
--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA