Re: Website in a box?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:22:42PM -0500, Alex wrote:
> I have an FC14 x86_64 install, and would like to find a basic
> application for some friends that will provide a simple web presence,
> including a simple blogging features and a photo gallery.
>
> Should I just install wordpress and gallery, or is there something
> that's better and more integrated, and easy for a novice to use?

Definitely take a look at either Drupal or Joomla.  Both are
full-featured systems; Drupal has a huge number of add-on packages and
is eminently extensible, while Joomla purports to be easier to get
started.  Both are trending toward each other in these areas as they
evolved.

I selected Drupal, and had a full site configured and running with my
selected add-ins in less than an hour.  Because of this, I've not worked
with Joomla.

Anyone who *knows* the packages will recognize the base system by the
default layout; extensive customization does require work.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx