Re: Partitioning questions

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 13:34 -0500, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install FC14 x86_64 on a quad-core AMD box with 4 1TB
> SATA disks, and have some questions about partitioning.
>
> I'd like to create a RAID5 array with no spares, using all four disks.
> There isn't room in the chassis for more disks, and they will never be
> replaced with larger ones. Should I even worry about LVM?

The benefits and drawbacks of LVM for a single volume are independent of
whether the LVM lives on a RAID.

> If so, do I manually create the RAID5 partitions (and devices) that I
> want to use, then wrap them in LVM?

Yes.

> By default, the installer creates LVM partitions, but it seems they
> must be deleted to create the RAID partitions, correct?

When you get to the partitioning page of the installer, select Custom.
Then nothing is created initially.

> The installer is very non-intuitive (and more difficult than it needs
> to be) if you want to just create RAID partitions and not LVM.

True enough that it's not intuitive.  But it's not that hard, once you
see the process.

     1. Create RAID partitions on all relevant devices.  If you want a
        LVM, be sure to create separate sets of partitions one partition
        on each disk for each RAID device) for /boot and the LVM.
     2. Create RAID devices, which group the partition sets (one for
        the /boot partitions and one for the LVM, if you do it that
        way).
     3. Create the filesystems and/or LVM physical volumes on the
        appropriate RAID devices.
     4. Create the volume groups and logical volumes for the LVM.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu