Re: Remote X display access

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> What is the best way to securely permit a remote X application to
>>> display on as local system?
>
>> Here's what I do:
>> local machine: ssh -YC username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I tried "ssh -X user@host" and that appeared to work fine. What is the
> difference between these two commands? Will I be able to perform all
> functions remotely using my method, or is the -Y preferred?

I could not recall the reason and after some googling, this is what I found:

http://support.suso.com/supki/SSH_Tutorial_for_Linux#X11_Session_Forwarding

"For some newer programs and newer versions of X windows, you may need
to use the -Y option instead for trusted X11 forwarding. Try using
this option if your X11 windows program fails to start running with a
message like this one that was for Gimp:

      The program 'gimp-2.2' received an X Window System error.
      The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
      (Details: serial 154 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)
      backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
      function.)

> Thanks for everyone's help. xhost with X11R5 is what I recalled using :-)

No problem.  X's network centric architecture is the winner here. I am
hoping that the "new" wayland [0] will also have the same transparency.

[0] http://wayland.freedesktop.org/
--
Harish Pillay h.pillay@xxxxxxxx gpg id: 746809E3