Re: system-config-firewall from remote machine

On Jan  1 17:08, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I tried to run system-config-firewall logged in remotely as a normal
> user (not root).  I am not prompted for root's password.  The interface
> pops up and the startup splash screen displays, but when the splash
> screen clears, it's replaced with an error popup with the message
>
>         org.fedoraproject.slip.dbus.service.PolKit.NotAuthorizedException.org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth:
>
> and buttons labeled "Redo" and "Quit".  "Redo" results in the same
> popup.  Running on the local machine behaves as expected: root password
> prompt, GUI opens, interaction is normal.  Logging in remotely as root
> works as expected too, but that's not a good security practice.
>
> Is this a bug?  (I assume so...)  If so, what package?  (This is
> system-config-firewall-1.2.27-1.fc14.noarch, FWIW.)

You can add access for yourself in PolicyKit.  Let's assume you
are user "matthew".  As root:

  root> cd /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d
  root> cat > 50-firewall-matthew-access.pkla << EOF
  [Allow matthew remote access to system-config-firewall]
  Identity=unix-user:matthew
  Action=org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth
  ResultAny=yes
  ResultInactive=yes
  ResultActive=yes
  EOF
  root>

Now try to start system-config-firewall in your remote session.

Corinna