Re: DNS not working in Fedora 14

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 07:10 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Dick Holland <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Sending "dig -t aaaa google.com" to my local DNS server:
> >
> > So the "no response" I guess means IPv6 is not supported by the server.
> >
> > Sending "dig -t aaaa google.com" to my ISP's DNS servers:
> >
> > No answer from the ISP either! So I guess that means they don't support
> > IPv6 either.
>
> I don't think that google.com has an ipv6 address. I think that you
> have to query ipv6.google.com.

The test is not for google, it's to see if the ISP's DNS servers would
respond to a request for an IPv6 AAAA record.

> > All this leaves me with one question: is there a way of turning off
> > these IPv6 DNS requests in Fedora?
>
> Disable ipv6.

I have disabled IPv6 by adding an "install ipv6 /bin/true" line
into /etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf and by disabling the ip6tables Service.
This does allow Firefox to find web sites (whihc it would not do
before), but does not allow telnet or ftp to work. The results are
excatly as before. So that seems to indicate that even after disabling
IPv6, IPv6 DNS requests are still being issued.

--
Dick Holland