Re: Best Make of Sata Drive for Linux

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM, John Mellor <john.mellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got a 1.5TB Western Digital Green drive, and I'm not happy with the
> performance of it.  There are also several discussions online about
> these drives having an early ageing problem with ext4 filesystems
> because of them unloading the heads every 5 seconds and ext4 only
> flushing its journal every 30 seconds.

I have 2 1TB WD Black drives and one 300GB Velociraptor they all have
been working almost flawlessly. Could you please point me to what kind
of symptoms I might see if the above was true for my case?

PS: Did you by any chance get the unloading of heads and ext4 flushing
its journals interchanged? If not, I don't see how that would be a
problem.

--
Suvayu