RE: Best Make of Sata Drive for Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Mellor
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2011 3:24 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Best Make of Sata Drive for Linux

On Sat, 2011-01-01 at 17:49 -0500, Jim wrote:
> What would be the best MAKE of a 7200rpm Sata harddrive to install
> Linux
> F14 on ?

I've got a 1.5TB Western Digital Green drive, and I'm not happy with the
performance of it.  There are also several discussions online about these
drives having an early ageing problem with ext4 filesystems because of them
unloading the heads every 5 seconds and ext4 only flushing its journal every
30 seconds.

Other than this one negative, I suspect than any other drive will do well
for the first 5 years or so.  Linux is much easier on the drive than
Redmond's products are.

If it is speed you are after I would highly suggest a SD drive.

Solid State as a boot and see the performance go way up.

32 - 64 gig is on average 100.00