Re: Emma frontend ???, for MySQL

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:12:18 -0500, Jim wrote:

> Fedora 14.
>
> emma-0.6.tar.gz
>
> Trying to compile emma frontend for MySQL but I get Error below and I
> don't see a python2.4 in Fedora
>
> # ./setup.py
> /usr/bin/env: python2.4: No such file or directory

Edit the files and change python2.4 to python. Fedora 14 comes with 2.7

> Also ,
>
> #python setup.py
> no gtk. you will not be able to start emma

Looks like you may be missing some dependencies. The actual message is a
bit misleading.

>From __init__.py in emmalib:

try:
	import gtk
	from gtk import keysyms
	import gobject
	import gtk.gdk
	import gtk.glade
	if __name__ != "__main__":
		from emmalib import __file__ as emmalib_file
		from emmalib.mysql_host import *
		from emmalib.mysql_query_tab import *
	else:
		emmalib_file = __file__
		from mysql_host import *
		from mysql_query_tab import *
except:
	print "no gtk. you will not be able to start emma."

So, make sure you have the following installed as well:

pygobject2-2.21.5-3.fc14.i686

And any of its dependencies of course.

That being said, this installs software in /usr/share/emma (!), uses some
deprecated calls, and the author's web site seems to be no longer
available.

Have you looked at other graphical tools for MySQL, such as:

mysql-workbench (available as an RPM from mysql.com)
SQuirrel (available from squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net)

I use both of the above packages and like both (for different tasks).

. . . . just my two cents

/mde/