Re: Help. Motherboard changed. Everything is fine except eth0.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:49:33 -0200
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas wrote:

> Does it work the same way when adding a Hard Drive?
> What are the steps? Udev recognizes and adds the new "/dev/sda?"?

I think NICs and CD/DVD drives are the only ones that get the
70-persistent* files added for them. Hard disks are just
named in whatever order the kernel happens to see them,
and any changes don't matter because the /etc/fstab file
is setup by default to use the UUID= mount syntax, which
is read off the disk, so it doesn't matter if it is sda or sdb.

> P.S. Can you post here some "places" for learning more about
> adding/removing devices?

I wish I knew. I only found the 70-persistent* files after
replacing a CD drive then spending an entire day grepping
my system for files containing the string "sr1" to try and
discover why the replacement disk wasn't still "sr0" :-).

I have some random collection of knowledge on my web
page at http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/, but it
isn't really a great resource for learning anything,
more like a collection of rants :-).