Re: 2 Ethernet cabling question

On 12/27/2010 01:40 AM, Tim wrote:

> As I recall, CAT3 only goes as far as 10 mbit per second.  And depending
> on how bad your gear is at automatic speed negotiation, it may keep
> trying to go full pelt, instead of sticking to 10 mbits.

I believe it is only rated for 10 mbits. But for a short run, you
may get 100 mbits performance out of it. In this case, it wouldn't
hurt to try, and watch the stats from the connection. This is where
the difference between theory and practice come in. The specs say
that you can not have a run more then 100 meters long. While I do
not recommend it, I have had exceeded that a couple of times when
there was no choice, and no place to put a repeater in the run. (We
told the costumer what he needed, and that he was going to had
trouble from time to time with this setup... This is what he wanted.)

For a short run, say 50', the CAT-3 will meet the specs for a 328'
(100m) run of CAT-5. For that matter, some of the CAT-3 sold is the
80's actually meets CAT-5 standards. One thing to be careful of is
the shield - make sure it is only grounded on one end. You are
better off not grounding it, then grounding it at both ends.

Mikkel