Re: smartctl reports bad sectors, badblocks does not find any

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:48:31 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> On 12/23/10 10:34 PM, JB wrote:
>> Juan R. de Silva<juan.r.d.silva<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

>> Do you see the same SMART errors under your other distros ?
>>
>> Suggestions:
>> 1. see if BIOS has harddisk self-test (read; read-write) 2. check your
>> hd manufacturer's web site for diagnostics/repair utility 3. $ man
>> hdparm
>>     # hdparm -I /dev/sd?
>>     study it (I have not tried it myself ...) VERY DANGEROUS  according
>>     to manual ! --make-bad-sector
>>     --read-sector
>>     --repair-sector
>>     --write-sector
>>
> I highly recommend NOT trying to fix bad sectors.  Just look and see if
> the number is increasing as you use the drive.  If it does, time to get
> another/RMA this drive.

I guess I've done enough in this regard already :-). The only thing I'm
still hesitating to try (but considering) is hdparm.

At the end if the drive is destined to die, I at least have a good
opportunity to exercise on it. :-)

> BTW, the OP did not state who the manufacturer of the drive is,

It's FUJITSU MHV2100BH on Dell Latitude d820. And it's 4.5 years old.

> but some
> manfacturers are known to have drives that ship with recovered bad
> sectors that S.M.A.R.T. finds bad after very little use.

Unfortunately my logs show the first report of Nov. 23 this year.

Well, I guess there is not much I can do but making full backups
frequently.