Re: Let's talk about yum and p2p in Fedora

On 12/26/2010 02:40 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> The only permanent solution to usability of p2p in general is IPv6, where all
> addresses will be public and thus accessible from outside. And IPv6 would fix
> other protocols broken by introduction of NAT, not just p2p stuff.
>
> But until then, p2p can never be completely reliable/available to everyone, as
> http is now.

  Why would anyone want all internal machines public anyway ?

  Historically, we used nat for 2 purposes:

    (1) to shield inside machines
    (2) free up ipv4 (was an accidental consequence of (1)

 I need to read about ipv6 - but can I keep (1) with ipv6 ? i.e.
machines inside access to internet similar to what they have now via
firewall/nat ... but no way for those ipv6 addresses to be seen SYN'd
from outside.