Thoughts of a user

Hi There,

I have some thoughts regarding the future and aim fedora developers should
take. I - as a very average normal user - have installed several releases,
and am very happy with Fedora 13, and have no doubt Fedora 14 will satisfy
my needs as well. Having said that, there are some concerns that I'm
missing in the direction Fedora seems to be taking.
I can not code to save my life, so all that follows are things I think
developers should think about, but please do not consider what I say here
serious accusations. I'm just stating, what I - as a very average user -
am missing.

1) Looks: Forgive the curse-words, but Linux has been surpassed in looks
by as far as I can see all other OSs. I don't know all, but Windoze and
Mac all look better on lesser graphic-cards. Things like true
class-borders should be developed. True see-through should also be made
possible for apps like conky et al.
Btw, I Love the F14 background.

2) Wifi: It may be a sore point, but there is no ease of installing
(newer) machines with built in wifi cards. While I understand that all
those things are built for functionality with Windoze, and that many
manufacturers don't make their own Linux drivers, but even with the
correct drivers it doesn't often work. I feel it should be on the
forefront of the developers attention to make wifi work more easily - on
all machines. Wireless computing is getting more and more popular, and is
the future for the internet. So if Linux wishes to survive (sorry to put
it so strongly), it is important that wifi works as easily as when
installing Windoze. It doesn't; check the forums, check google. Few issues
are so frequent.

3) Hardware management: su -, lshw, isn't good enough a hardware manager
for the average user. A new app should be developed that looks better and
is interactive. Enable and disable certain hardware should be an option.
Finding manufacturer's details of driver-less hardware is a must. Aida32
springs to mind, XP's Device Manager springs to mind. GUI, interactive.
This is necessary to appeal to the average user - ie. me.
And while we're at it, try and make the wifi-card enableable through this
app; rfkill unblock all doesn't always do it.

As I said, just some thoughts. Do with it what you see fit. I'll keep
using Fedora till it stops working.  This is what I'm missing. Note that
if all this is already available, it isn't well enough advertised.

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

Make 1000 euros in minutes! Sell my house: http://www.bentrein.com/house