Re: About programing, a general question

On 12/22/10 10:07 AM, David Liguori wrote:
> Then, for an amusing read which may or may not tell you anything about
> how a computer works, try Douglas Hofstadter's "Goedel, Escher, Bach: an
> Eternal Golden Braid".
I've read this book, on both sides (yes, this is a book that starts on
one side and the other (you have to flip the book over and then start
reading.)  Interesting indeed.
> If I misunderstood and you just want to learn the most useful language,
> it would probably be C.  Later you could learn C++ and "object-oriented"
> concepts.  C gives you plenty of opportunity to interact at the
> hardware-level, with the ability in principle to write significant
> pieces of software like word processors or operating systems.  The books
> by Deitel and Deitel probably have everything you need to know.

Again, more books that I have read.  I had or have their Javascript for
Programmers book.  Not needed for a good course on programming.
However, their C++ book is great.

Their C book is a mixed bag in the current edition, but I had a prior
edition and it was very good.  It is available from Amazon, but is very
expensive (USD 46).

James McKenzie