Re: About programing, a general question

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 02:16 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>         I found the answer in "The C Programming Language" by Brian W.
>         Kernighan
>         and Dennis M. Ritchie.  This book is such a basic that it is
>         often
>         referred to just as K&R.  If you try to simply use this book
>         as a
>         tutorial for the C language it is too difficult.  Almost every
>         sentence
>         contains a new concept.  But K&R and 'C' are closest to the
>         metal.  It's
>         description and particularly its appendices are used by
>         programmers
>         mainly as a reference.  It really is a text on how to best
>         write code so
>         that the compiler can use your 'C' code by translating it into
>         machine
>         language. It is also, therefore, basic instructions for
>         compiler writers
>         on how they have writer their compilers.
>

> Sure, how to get this book? Is it available online somewhere?

I don't think you can get it legitimately online -- I have the hard
cover text.  It maybe available online now. Google "The C Programming
Language" by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.  It is sold
everywhere that sells computer books.  It is not expensive -- not like
other computer text books.

> That technology is really amazing that whatever in your heart comes,
> you enter it through keyboard and in a string of '0's and '1's it is
> read by the processor which then takes the proper action, finally it
> comes into the wire from where your internet connection is coming
> (into the form of EM wave of proper frequency, amplitude & time) and
> then it is further processed! It's really amazing.

The 'C' language does not deal directly with the Internet.  It is more
basic.  Much of the higher level code used for the internet is or was
originally written in 'C' in order to get the computer to accept and
transmit data, to build internet packets and to adhere to traffic
protocols.

Actually, computers don't use '1' and '0's.  The '1' and '0's are just
textual representations of High Voltage and Low Voltage which is what
the machine really uses.  It is a handy representation because binary
math (two digit athematic) gives the same results as the combining of
deferent sets of high voltages and low voltages.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32