Re: About programing, a general question

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The bottom line is that data structures really define how you write
code. Back in my (ugh) COBOL days, I was told that the bubble sort was
the best sort. At that time I didn't know much about data structures,
and even if I did, COBOL is a terrible language for implementing good
data structures. Later, while working on Unix, C, and
Run-Time-Libraries, the knowledge of data structures was crucial.
There are many other things that are important in production code, such
as trying to use as many standard elements, and not reinventing the wheel.
But the initial thing is to learn and understand the basic building
blocks, such as what is a variable, what is a constant. But, without
taking a formal programming course, you should be able to get this in
most online tutorials.

--
Jerry Feldman

Oh I see.