Re: Upgrading : give me strength ...

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 15:17 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I *like* this idea -- and apologize for not discovering it till
> now. But the latter half is Geek to me: what I know about fstab is how to
> spell it. And the man page is totally opaque, depending as usual on
> umpteen other things I can't even spell. I gather it's a plain text file,
> and I think the one I need is /etc/fstab; I presume I edit it somehow.

Yes, /etc/fstab is *the* fstab (File System Table) that we refer to when
configuring mounting things onto the file system.

> 	Konqueror (which I run, under Gnome, almost entirely because it
> makes man pages so much more legible than my command line on a terminal)
> finds no man page for "remount". I presume I just do umount and -- what?
> The man pages jump from mergecap to multi (and from remap_file_pages to
> remque). How do I (re)mount something *in* a file??

Remounting could be using a remount option with the mount command, or
unmount something with the umount command (notice it's not unmount
command) then mount it with the mount command.  It could also be issuing
the "mount -a" command line, which will go through all the entries in
the fstab file, and mount them.

It's the mount command you want look into.

> As for your  last line: obvious to whom?

Obvious to meeeeeeee....  (thought process of the writer)  ;-)

At the end of the process, unmount the new special boot partition,
change the fstab file back to using the original boot partition, mount
the (original) boot partition.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686