Re: lvm

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 12:59 +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I modify a logical partition size of a mounted partition
> by using system-config-lvm ?

First, I don't run system-config-lvm, so I'm not directly answering your
question.

Are you dealing with a logical partition, eg: sda5, or an lvm logical
volume, eg: VolGroup-lv_root? Logical partitions are disk partitions,
which have nothing to do with lvm. Logical volumes are, of course, lvm.

Consider that if you have a device with a filesystem on it, you will
need to resize both the device and the filesystem. The order will depend
on whether you are growing or shrinking things: you'll want to grow a
device before you grow the filesystem on it, and you'll want to shrink a
filesystem before you shrink the device it's on.

If you are going to resize the filesystem as well, it would probably be
best not to do so while the filesystem is mounted. Whether or not online
resizing is allowed depends on the type of filesystem.

Look at the man pages for lvresize and, if your filesystem is
ext2/ext3/ext4, resize2fs. (run 'man lvresize' and 'man resize2fs')

Also, consider doing a web search for 'resize lvm' or similar. There's
plenty of information out there.

HTH