Re: scp with IPV6

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 17:12 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 12/20/2010 04:18 PM, Benito Mourelo Caldeiro wrote:
> >
> > See RFC 2732, "Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URL's":
> >
> > <<
> > 2. Literal IPv6 Address Format in URL's Syntax
> >
> >    To use a literal IPv6 address in a URL, the literal address should be
> >    enclosed in "[" and "]" characters.  For example the following
> >    literal IPv6 addresses:
> >
> >       FEDC:BA98:7654:3210:FEDC:BA98:7654:3210
> >       1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:4171
> >       3ffe:2a00:100:7031::1
> >       1080::8:800:200C:417A
> >       ::192.9.5.5
> >       ::FFFF:129.144.52.38
> >       2010:836B:4179::836B:4179
> >
> >    would be represented as in the following example URLs:
> >
> >       http://[FEDC:BA98:7654:3210:FEDC:BA98:7654:3210]:80/index.html
> >       http://[1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:417A]/index.html
> >       http://[3ffe:2a00:100:7031::1]
> >       http://[1080::8:800:200C:417A]/foo
> >       http://[::192.9.5.5]/ipng
> >       http://[::FFFF:129.144.52.38]:80/index.html
> >       http://[2010:836B:4179::836B:4179]
>
> Thanks,
>
> I found already information in wikipedia.de for that syntax. But it is
> not evident that such URL addresses are valid too for target addresses
> in scp :-(
>
> Kind regards
>
> Joachim Backes

It can be more complex in future. Look at the section "3.2.2 Host" in
RFC 3996.
So, the best is to use the host name for the destination to which you
want to connect. You can add it to the hosts file, or to
your .ssh/config file.

I took a look at the man page for ssh(1), and curiously only in the
tunnel commands indicates that
"IPv6 addresses can be specified by enclosing addresses in square
brackets or by using an alternative syntax: [bind_address/]port. ".

--
All the information and opinions contained in this message and the