samba shares visibility in vista and windows 7

Hi,

I have an f14 samba file server with several f14 work stations and a
vista notebook and a win7 desktop.

On my f14 systems, if I go to Places > Network, It displays all the
shares on all the systems except for homes for the f14 server and other
f14 systems.  If I go to Places > Connect to Server ... and select
Service type Windows Share, type my server name, Share: homes, User
Name: <username> and click on Connect, after authentication I see my
home directory on the server.

On either vista or win7, Network does not display any smb shares.  But
again, I can manually mount any smb shares as network drives using
C:\> net use m: \\servername\share_name.

Here is a copy of output from testparm smb.conf for the server:

$ testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[smbshare]"
Processing section "[public]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
     workgroup = MYGROUP
     server string = Numenor Samba Server Version %v
     obey pam restrictions = Yes
     pam password change = Yes
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
     unix password sync = Yes
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     max log size = 0
     printcap name = cups
     dns proxy = No
     remote announce = 192.168.1.255
     hosts allow = 127., 192.168.1.

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     valid users = %S
     read only = No
     create mask = 0664
     directory mask = 0775
     browseable = No

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/samba
     printable = Yes
     browseable = No

[smbshare]
     comment = Shared Files
     path = /home/smbshare
     valid users = dad, perryd, mom, Dave, Dianne
     read only = No
     create mask = 0664
     directory mask = 0775

[public]
     comment = Public Stuff
     path = /home/test
     valid users = mom, dad, perryd, Dave, Dianne
     read only = No
     create mask = 0664
     directory mask = 0775
     guest ok = Yes